Tuesday, September 19, 2006

The High Priestess of Broken Hearts

At first I was afraid
I was petrified…

Before the first verse of Gloria Gaynor’s classic had finished, the dance floor was filled with strutting women smiling like rock stars and acting the lyrics out to each other.

“Why is ‘I Will Survive’ such a women’s anthem?” Mr. Wonderful wanted to know as we watched from the sidelines.

I couldn’t really give him a good answer at the time. But he was right. Almost every woman and girl I know holds the song dear. Had he not been with me, I’m sure I would have been among the rush to the dance floor.

On a very basic level, I think it speaks to every woman’s wish hold her head up no matter the hard knocks life has thrown at her. Perhaps because there is not really a lot a accepted venues for women to stand up and assert their power. Maybe a woman dancing out there would never have the courage to speak up to an abusive boyfriend but she can get out there and dance and feel for three minutes that she is in fact strong. I can pretty much guarantee every woman on the dance floor is either dancing to get over a broken heart or remembering and celebrating having gotten over one.

It comes as no surprise that dating in LA, or dating anywhere, can get messy. Heartbreak, deception, miscommunication and disappointment go hand in hand with the thrill of new love or what you let yourself believe is love.

When the shit hits the fan, we get upset, hurt, angry, sad and most of all frustrated that yet another prince turned out to be just a frog. We have those nights of crying on the shoulder of a good girlfriend, or moping into our Ben and Jerry’s.

Kept thinking I could never live without you by my side

And then we have nights of shining a light on ourselves. Looking in the mirror and realizing that it’s not us; we are amazing, powerful and beautful. It’s him dealing with, or more accurately, not dealing with his own fears and hang ups. And we’re stronger and know ourselves a little better because of it all.

But then I spent so many nights thinking how you did me wrong
and I grew strong
and I learned how to carry on

Ultimately we all want some reassurance that we will in fact survive. If that comes in the form of a cheesy disco tune so be it.

So you see me
Somebody new
Not that chained up little person still in love with you
and you just felt like walking and just expect me to be free
Now I'm saving all my lovin' for someone who's lovin' me

Sing it, girls!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home