Wednesday, December 20, 2006

New Year's Resolution

I was browsing in a little hipster shop the other day, being a fashion wing-girl for a girlfriend. I picked up a pair or those new Grass jeans which I hear the kids are wearing these days. They were surprisingly affordable on sale at $40. Thinking ahead to my ability to buy groceries, I sighed and put them down.

"You're not going to get them?" My friend asked.

"Nah, no money."

A hipster dude across the jean table from me snorted and snatched up a cashmere sweater, "No money?"

I hadn't expected to be explaining my financial situation to a stranger but I snorted back at him and sniped "Nope."

"Put it on your credit card, girl." With that he stalked to the cashier and whipped out his AmEx.

Due to previous financial shenanigans, I don't have a credit card and I don't want one, ever again. As much as I'd like to have chalked it up to the old family rule of "No buying stuff for yourself right before Christmas," it was really that, yes, I am that poor. I seriously would have to weigh gas for the car or these jeans. Last time I checked it wasn't a crime to be poor but it might as well be around Tinseltown.

Criminal nature aside, I'm damn sick of it. Yes, the whole starving artist thing is for a good cause, a film I believe in. But the starving nature of it is getting old. That's why my resolution for 2007 is weatlth. I hereby declare that 2007 is the year I will actually have a serious income. And it will be the first in a long line of serious income years. No more shopping at the 99cents store out of necessity, no more begging off lunches with friends because I can't pay my share, no more putting off the dog's vet visit.

Here's to great wealth in 2007, in whatever form it takes for you.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I LOVE THIS!!!
I'm with you sister.. from one starving artist to another.
Although I'm on the other coast and in music business. I can FEEL your pain!

11:29 AM  
Blogger Heidi said...

Hey Sofia,

Thanks! Yeah, here's to crazy success for both of us in 2007. It's high time!

10:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home